Dental Crowns & Bridges in Allentown, PA
Dental crowns serve a variety of needs. Whether you have a damaged, fractured, misshapen, or cracked tooth or you've recently had a root canal, a crown protects the existing tooth structure.
If you want more information about dental crowns and bridges at our Allentown dental office, please check out some of the questions below. Then call us at (610) 797-8245 to arrange an appointment.
- What are dental crowns used for?
- How long does it take to get a dental crown?
- What's the best way to care for my new dental crown?
What are dental crowns used for?
Porcelain dental crowns fully enclose a tooth to protect and strengthen it. There are many instances where your Allentown dentist may recommend a dental crown:
- Protect and strengthen a tooth after a root canal procedure
- Support a fixed dental bridge
- Restore a tooth after placement of a dental implant
- Cover fractured or broken teeth
- Replace a large, discolored metal filling
- Provide a new shape for a tooth that is oddly sized or proportioned
How long does it take to get a dental crown in Allentown, PA?
From start to finish, getting dental crowns at our Allentown dental office takes about two to three weeks.
- The first step is to prepare your tooth to receive the crown. Since the crown adds bulk, we need to remove an equal amount from the tooth so that the crown fits well and looks natural.
- Next, we'll take impressions of your teeth used to create models. We then use the model to create a temporary crown, and a trusted custom dental lab in our area uses it to fabricate your new all-porcelain dental crown.
- In about two weeks, your final crown will be ready, and you will return to Evolve Dental Care. Your dentist in Allentown, PA, will check the crown for fit, ensure that it doesn't interfere with your dental bite, and cement it securely in place on the prepared tooth.
What's the best way to care for my new dental crown?
When you properly care for them, well-made porcelain dental crowns can last 15 years or longer. Here are a few tips to help you get the most longevity from your new dental crown:
- Brush twice, floss once a day, and keep current with your six-month dental exams and cleanings. During these visits, we'll check your dental crown to ensure it's stable and in good condition.
- Ask your dental hygienist for tips on stepping up your oral hygiene game. Your crown can't decay, but the tooth beneath it can, which will require further treatment.
- Avoid foods like nuts and crunchy bread that can chip your new dental crown. Likewise, chewing on ice can also damage your crown. Also, avoid gummy or sticky candies that can pull your crown off.
If you're considering getting a porcelain tooth crown in Allentown, PA, please call Evolve Dental Care to arrange a consultation with one of our dentists.
What is the purpose of dental bridges in Allentown, PA?
Dental bridges are designed to replace one or more missing teeth, which restores function and appearance. It is made up of an artificial tooth that sits in the open space and is suspended on either side by attaching dental crowns to adjacent teeth. Getting a dental bridge is a relatively simple procedure that typically takes place over two dental appointments.
A dental bridge can last 15 years or longer with proper care. One of the significant reasons for bridge failure is that cavities occur in the teeth supporting the bridge. Pay attention to your dental hygiene and visit your Allentown dentist every six months for exams and teeth cleanings.
Why should I replace missing teeth?
If you are missing one or more teeth, it's critical that you fill in the gap left behind. Although it might not seem like a big deal, an open space in your mouth will lead to the rest of your teeth shifting. This space can alter your dental bite and will likely lead to even more tooth loss.
Dental bridges and other structures can prevent teeth from shifting around after tooth loss. This keeps your bite aligned and can prevent oral issues like temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD)—a condition that may cause jaw clicking and headache or facial pain.
Contact Your Trusted Team at Evolve Family Dental
Whether you need a dental crown to restore damage or a dental bridge to replace a missing tooth, rest assured that at Evolve Dental Care, we work with the top custom dental labs. That's a significant benefit because these labs use only the highest quality materials to create your dental crown or bridge. That way, we know you'll be much happier with the results, which gives everyone something to smile about!
If you'd like to work with one of the top dental offices in Allentown, PA, give us a call at (610) 797-8245.