At Evolve Family Dental, we only recommend a tooth extraction when it’s the last option for protecting your oral health. Dr. Amir Mojahed is a gentle Allentown dentist who can comfortably remove your problematic tooth, so you don’t experience any pain or discomfort. Please call us today if you need an emergency tooth extraction in Allentown, PA.
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Depending on your unique situation, Dr. Mojahed can perform a simple or surgical extraction using local anesthetic and mild sedation if needed. A simple extraction is for teeth visible above the gumline, while a surgical extraction removes a tooth below the gumline, like an impacted wisdom tooth.
Tooth Extraction Cost
The cost of a tooth extraction varies per patient, depending on their specific needs, location of the tooth, and the type of extraction they require. Simple extractions can range from $175 to $400 per tooth, and surgical extractions can range from $800 and several thousand.
After tooth extraction, a blood clot forms in the socket naturally. If the clot dislodges, the socket is exposed, which is also known as a “dry socket.” Other risks are:
- Bleeding longer than 12 hours
- Infection, fever, and chills
- Vomiting and nausea
- Cough, chest pain, shortness of breath
- Swelling and redness at the extraction site
Tips For Speedy Recovery
It takes a few days to recover from extraction, but these tips can help with recovery:
- Apply an ice pack to your cheek to reduce swelling.
- Rest for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t use a straw for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol until healed.
- Prop up your head with pillows when you lie down.
- Avoid the extraction site while brushing and flossing.
- Only eat soft foods, like applesauce.
If you notice signs of an infection or experience lingering pain, please call your Allentown dentist as soon as possible.