Nitrous Oxide in Allentown, PA
Nitrous oxide, commonly called “laughing gas”, is one of the safest sedatives in dentistry. Nitrous oxide is mixed with oxygen and delivered through a mask over the nose. It usually takes effect within a few minutes and wears off shortly after mask removal.
Nitrous oxide is contraindicated in patients with following conditions:
- COPD. For example chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
- Respiratory tract infection.
- Middle ear infection.
- Latex allergy. Nasal hood may contain latex.
- Children under age of 3.
- Nasal obstruction. Due to cold or tonsil enlargement.
- Patients with psychiatric or psychological conditions.
Nitrous oxide is indicated in patients with following conditions:
- Mild dental anxiety.
- Severe gag reflex.
- Non-cooperative children.
- For patients who want feel more relaxed during a dental procedure.
- Do I need to fast before nitrous oxide? No, but we recommend having a light meal two hours before your dental appointment.
- Do I need someone to accompany me during my dental appointment? No, Nitrous oxide effects wear off within a few minutes.